Kaytee exact Hand Feeding Formula was one of the first “instant” formulas available and is one of the most researched and respected products used by professional breeders, veterinarians and conservation programs throughout the world. exact food’s high-nutrient formula promotes growth, weaning, development and bright plumage. When used properly, exact food will support a healthy crop. exact Hand Feeding Formula contains probiotics to encourage a healthy population of intestinal microorganisms. The selected species have been chosen specifically for their vitality, stability, and overall benefits to a bird’s system.
Kaytee understands that sharing your life with a pet bird is not only enjoyable but very enriching. Kaytee shows our love by ensuring we provide your pet bird with the best nutrition for a long and healthy life. With over 150 years of avian nutritional experience, it’s no wonder why Kaytee is at the heart of every healthy feeding routine.
Baby birds should be fed on a routine schedule allowing the chick’s crop to empty (or nearly empty) between feedings and to determine if bird is being fed the right amount. This prevents any food remaining too long in the crop and possibly spoiling. If the time between crop emptying suddenly increases, and the crop appears to be slowing down, observe the chick closely.
See “IMPORTANT NOTES” regarding crop-slow down.
1. Feed mixture with a clean, disinfected syringe, spoon, tube, or other comfortable method. A separate implement should be used for each baby to prevent spread of disease.
2. Dispense food along with the chick’s feeding response (rhythmic bobbing motion). This is more natural and decreases the likelihood of formula being inhaled.
3. Feed until the chick’s crop is nicely rounded or it refuses any more food, whichever comes first. Do not overfeed or regurgitation may occur. Generally, each meal should consist of a volume equivalent to 10-12% of the bird’s body weight.
4. Clean and sanitize feeding equipment after use. Clean any spilled food from the chick and change bedding after each feeding. Good hygiene is critical for a baby bird’s health. exact Hand Feeding Formulas are designed to be the only food for baby birds. Additions to the diet may include fruits and vegetables (such as strained baby foods) but should not exceed 20% of the total diet. Additional vitamin or mineral supplements should not be added.
To encourage the weaning process, exact Conversion diets should be offered when “exploration” begins. When the baby bird is fully feathered, offer exact Conversion diet, or an adult daily diet of exact Natural, or exact Rainbow in a clean food cup, in addition to routine hand feeding. The baby bird will slowly begin to prefer these new forms of the food. Fresh water must be provided at all times. Prolonged use of hand feeding formula beyond the normal weaning age, or excessive feeding, may result in health concerns. A chick will lose up to 10% of its body weight during weaning as it begins to eat on its own. Birds wean easily onto exact Conversion diets or exact adult daily diets because of compatible taste and ingredients.
Ground Corn, Ground Wheat, Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Meal, Soybean Oil, Wheat Middlings, Dried Whole Egg, Dried Molasses Beet Pulp, Coconut Oil, Ground Flax Seed (Source of Omega-3), Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, L-Lysine, Wheat Germ Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Salt, Fructooligosaccharide, Potassium Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, L-Arginine, Potassium Chloride, Yeast Extract, Propionic Acid (Preservative), Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Mixed Tocopherols (Preservative), L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K activity), Niacin, Rosemary Extract, Citric Acid, Ethoxyquin (Preservative), Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Cholecalciferol (Source of Vitamin D3), Beta-Carotene, Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product.
Please read all the instructions before using the exact Hand Feeding Formula. Use the following chart to mix formula according to the chick’s age. It is always advised to weigh formula and water to assure proper concentrations. Volume measurements are less accurate but usually sufficient.
1. Combine formula and hot water (approx. 120°F) in a clean, sanitized container according to the age chart above. (If your tap water contains bacteria, the use of boiled or bottled water is recommended.)
2. Mix formula thoroughly and allow it to sit for one minute.
3. Cool mixture to 105°F (or between 102° – 110°F). Mixture should have the consistency of thick creamy pudding. If a smoother consistency is desired, stir product vigorously at this time, which aids in activating added enzymes.
Special Notes For Preparation
IMPORTANT – Do Not Reuse Mixed Formula!! Discard and mix fresh at each feeding.
For hatch to 2 days old – formula should be made in small quantities and thoroughly stirred before feeding. Separation should be expected and is not a problem at this early stage because primary requirements are for water and water soluble nutrients. After chick is two days old, the food concentration must be increased (see feeding chart).
Microwaving should be avoided. Microwaving can create “hot spots” in the formula and increase the likelihood of accidental crop burns. If required, limit microwaving (on high) to no more than 5 seconds per 1/2 cup of mixed formula at a time. Be sure to follow this with vigorous stirring before retesting the temperature and feeding. Cover large batches of formula while microwaving to avoid a moisture loss. STIR FORMULA THOROUGHLY TO AVOID POTENTIAL OF BURNING THE CROP. Always test formula for proper temperature before feeding.
A naturally preserved product needs special attention to maintain maximum freshness. After opening bag, remove air from package and reseal tightly. Use food within 30 – 45 days. Store in a cool, dry location. Refrigerate or freeze for extended storage.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.